Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Wine of the Week - Paul Thomas Chavignol Rosé

Our world tour of rosé rolls on, with our featured bottling - an icon of French wine out of the Loire Valley. The Chavignol region of Sancerre is set apart by its Kimmeridgian limestone soils that are particularly suited to the Pinot Noir used to make this wine. The Paul Thomas Chavignol Rosé is truly a classic, with the International Wine Review giving the 2018 vintage 91 points, saying:
"Light red color. This is an outstanding example of Chavignol rosé with orange citrus and cherry skin scents. It’s full in the mouth with a perfumed palate of raspberry, rhubarb and lingering notes of melon. Great acidity and freshness. Made from 35 year old, organically cultivated Pinot Noir vines grown in the domaine’s 6 ha vineyard in Chavignol."

Domaine Paul Thomas is run by Raphael Thomas, son of Paul. Raphael originally intended to pursue a career in physics, but after his father tragically passed away at the end of the harvest in 2000, he made the decision to carry out his father’s legacy by returning to Chavignol and taking over management of the winery. From just six hectares of vines, Raphael produces 90,000 bottles. 75% of the total production is Sauvignon Blanc (Sancerre) while the remaining 25% is Pinot Noir (either Sancerre Rouge or Rosé).

No comments:

Post a Comment